Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Kidney stones - Water here causing it?
Abruzzolutely Forum    Living Here    Health  ›  Kidney stones - Water here causing it?

Kidney stones - Water here causing it?  This thread currently has 2,008 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
acp010701
December 15, 2011, 11:37am Report to Moderator
Capitano
I have recently been diagnosed with kidney stones but have never suffered from it before - just wondered if anyone else had similar experience on moving here.
The water where we live is very hard, and in the kettle (sorry getting technical here ) there are always lots of hard white bits after its boiled...! Just wondering if this is part of the cause.
Any suggestions on how to deal with the condition from fellow sufferers will also be greatly appreciated. Currently drinking a mix of olive oil and lemon juice 3 times a day, which is supposed to help disperse the stones, and, well, its not exactly easy to swallow
Logged Offline
Private Message
Sample
Magari
December 15, 2011, 12:07pm Report to Moderator
Capitano
Interesting question
One of our neighbours (near Bisenti) was telling me at the weekend that he has had kidney stones this year, and that the doctor told him they are much more prevalent in Abruzzo than any other part of Italy. They told him it was genetic.
My OH had gallstones this year, and the consultants in Oxford (who are a top team) told him that current research has found that gallstones can be caused by drinking hard water (he's banned from tap water). Whether the same applies to kidney stones, I don't know.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 21
linsead oil
December 15, 2011, 1:06pm Report to Moderator
Tenente Colonnello
it depends on your area we have been here for 8 years and our kettle is like new inside   no fur at all  people come from all over abruzzo to get bottles of water from our springs  even small lorrys   whith 100 dreds  of  bottles  perhaps you should come

Private Message Reply: 2 - 21
Marlene
December 15, 2011, 2:18pm Report to Moderator

Tenente Colonnello
My other half had stones of some sort of another once back in Manchester... he was reduced to a very low fat diet, no more than 35% of calories of anything he ate coming directly from fat content, but from this they dispersed naturally... which was a relief as initially he had been in a lot of pain! No mention of water being the problem at all though!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 21
Yorkshirewitch
December 15, 2011, 5:48pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
My OH has had many problems with Kidney stones, he was told its because he didn't drink enough water!

Here is a link from NHS http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Kidney-stones/Pages/Causes.aspx
E-mail Reply: 4 - 21
acp010701
December 16, 2011, 11:13am Report to Moderator
Capitano
Quoted from Magari
Interesting question
One of our neighbours (near Bisenti) was telling me at the weekend that he has had kidney stones this year, and that the doctor told him they are much more prevalent in Abruzzo than any other part of Italy. They told him it was genetic.
My OH had gallstones this year, and the consultants in Oxford (who are a top team) told him that current research has found that gallstones can be caused by drinking hard water (he's banned from tap water). Whether the same applies to kidney stones, I don't know.

Thank you for this Magari - had heard something similar about Gall and Kidney stones, that they can both be helped by drinking more water. And should think that drinking hard water would affect kidney stones as well since they are made from excess calcium... may be too much info here!!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 21
Barney
December 16, 2011, 12:54pm Report to Moderator

Capitano
My mum had kidney stones which were said to be caused by some prescription calcium tablets (heavy duty) for suspected osteoporosis.  No mention of water causing the problem but the GP removed the calcium prescription pretty quickly after the stones developed.    
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 21
acp010701
December 16, 2011, 1:50pm Report to Moderator
Capitano
Quoted from Marlene
My other half had stones of some sort of another once back in Manchester... he was reduced to a very low fat diet, no more than 35% of calories of anything he ate coming directly from fat content, but from this they dispersed naturally... which was a relief as initially he had been in a lot of pain! No mention of water being the problem at all though!

Thanks Marlene, think though your OH case they were talking about gallstones when needing to reduce the fat content in diet. However, with some types of kidney stones you need to reduce meat content... I think I need to know which ones I have - sorry am becoming a bit of nerd on KSs
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 21
GuardianAngel
December 20, 2011, 2:28am Report to Moderator

Capitano
I have been dealing with the very same thing since July. I had an attack, at the time I had no idea what it was, I thought my appendix burst. It was the most painful thing I've ever gone through. It was late evening, and after an hour or so it subsided. The next morning, I went to work, waiting for 9am to call the doctor, however, I had another attack and went to the hospital. After numerous tests, I was told I had two kidney stones, one 3mm and one 6mm, they were confident I would be able to pass the 3mm on my own, not sure about the 6 mm. I was shocked, I had no idea. I went on a mission, to try and get rid of them on my own. The doctor told me it was too much dairy products, cheese yogurt etc. I can't say that I eat a lot of those things, I do love cheese and ate yogurt often but not a lot. I have not had any yogurt since July and a very minimal amount of cheese.

I did the lemon juice and olive oil, until I couldn't stomach it anymore. I tried apple cider vinegar 3 x a day,  straight lemon juice 3/4 times a day, lemon juice in my tea. I went to a natropath sometime in August and got a product called Chanca Piedra, stone crusher in Latin. Its suppose to crush them, so you can pass fragments. I've been taking that three times a day, its pill form, but you can break the pill and make a tea which tastes pretty good. Some people have told me drinking beer gets rid of them, I don't drink so I'm not sure I can handle that. During this period of time I drank 12 12oz glasses of water per day. I actually kept a running tally because I'd forget what number I was on. I usually drink a lot of water, but still somehow got kidney stones.

Everything was fine, I didn't pass them, but no pain, until September when I had another attack. The urologist advised me it is a simple procedure to go in and remove them. However at the time our local hospitals were having an outbreak of a deadly virus, where 30 + people had died. The last thing I wanted to do was have an operation. It was bad enough that I spent all day in the hospital when these deaths were occuring.

I'm sure I still have them, sometimes I feel a twinge, and panic because I think another attack is coming on. I don't wish that on anyone, its horrifying. I just the other day, made an appointment with the urologist to discuss removing them. The hospitals have now ended the outbreak, and I've had enough of trying on my own, and worrying sick that it could happen at anytime. Most of all, I do not want to experience that pain again.

Good luck acp. I hope you are more successful than I was with the lemon juice and o/o.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 21
acp010701
December 20, 2011, 10:05am Report to Moderator
Capitano
Thank you GA for that and sorry to hear you are still suffering. Mine is a little different - so far I haven't experienced the awful pain people describe when they are passing stones, I have been lucky - so far! Unlike yours and others' experiences with KS I have pain all the time, which is dull but sore and worse at night.
What I have learnt  about KS is that women are less likely to get them unless they have an ongoing infection so you do need to know what type of stones they are in order to treat them - there are 4 types I think. My doctor here hasn't looked into this yet but I intend to ask for more tests. If you have calcium stones, which are the most common, then you'd expect the water you drink should be low in that mineral, but as to eating too much cheese and milk causing them I havn't heard that. My understanding of this is hazy but I do know that calcium needs magnesium to metabolise and if there is an imbalance there it could cause problems like KS. But most doctors are not nutritionists.
Best of luck and thanks for the helpful post. acp
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 21
Vignaverde
December 20, 2011, 11:56am Report to Moderator

Tenente Colonnello
I have heard hard cheeses etc are a big culprit of KS also a bit too much of the old booze !

Abruzzo property sales and renovations.Registered Estate Agents No. 169316
www.vignaverde.com

All inclusive tours of the fantastic Abruzzo region
www.exploreabruzzotours.com

View many photos of Abruzzo here https://www.facebook.com/AbruzzoProperty

Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 10 - 21
GuardianAngel
December 20, 2011, 5:28pm Report to Moderator

Capitano
You're not going to believe this, I passed a 6mm stone this morning! I called the urologist and I have to drop it off, he will then arrange for a test to see if I still have the smaller one.

Don't give up hope acp, try everything you can to get rid of them!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 21
charlesstuart
December 21, 2011, 4:43pm Report to Moderator
Maggiore
do you have a photo of it?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 21
acp010701
December 21, 2011, 8:10pm Report to Moderator
Capitano
Quoted from Vignaverde
I have heard hard cheeses etc are a big culprit of KS also a bit too much of the old booze !

I don't drink - perhaps that's the problem!!! (do like cheese though )
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 21
acp010701
December 21, 2011, 8:13pm Report to Moderator
Capitano
Quoted from GuardianAngel
You're not going to believe this, I passed a 6mm stone this morning! I called the urologist and I have to drop it off, he will then arrange for a test to see if I still have the smaller one.

Don't give up hope acp, try everything you can to get rid of them!  

Will do GA - Not sure whether to congratulate you or not - 6mm - that makes MY eyes water,   hope you're feeling ok now though?  Hopefully the smaller one has gone already. Good luck.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 21
GuardianAngel
December 21, 2011, 9:13pm Report to Moderator

Capitano
Quoted from charlesstuart
do you have a photo of it?

Here it is! I should have put something beside it so you can get an idea of the size. I would say its the size of the eraser on top of a pencil, maybe a bit smaller. I measured it, and it was 6mm.

acp: passing it was no problems at all. Its the traveling to the bladder that is so painful.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 15 - 21
Sample
Relaxed
December 21, 2011, 10:30pm Report to Moderator

Tenente Colonnello
Well, I have to say that's a first for me - seeing a snap of a kidney stone! I'm amazed that it is dark in colour - I'd sort of had a notion that it would be chalky white. Anyway, Im pleased for you that it's come out into the daylight.

I think I read somehwere that medics could blast these things with some sort of wonder ray (maybe ultrasound?) from outside the body, and pulverise them in situ. I'm not sure if it was kidney or gall stones that were being discussed... because I'm absurdly squeamish and tend to avert my eyes even from the printed word when it gets too detailed.. .
Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 16 - 21
GuardianAngel
December 22, 2011, 1:03am Report to Moderator

Capitano
From all the research I've done, there are a few different colours when it comes to kidney stones,I'm not sure if it depends on what type of stone it is. Some are lighter in colour, and some much darker. Once they test it, they will tell me what type of stone it is, which will help in letting me know what foods to avoid.

We have a hospital 4 hours away who do the "shock wave lithotripsy", for kidney stones,  its painless, and disintegrates the stones. Its shock waves that go through your body, but you don't feel anything. Candidates must have stones larger than 7mm or kidney problems, or higher risk patients. (I already checked into that!)

Sorry Relaxed, I don't mean to make you sqeamish!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 17 - 21
Sancho the Fat
December 22, 2011, 6:34am Report to Moderator

Tenente Colonnello
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your complaint. I'm pretty sure the best thing would be to ask your local GP, who will know whether kidney stones are especially common in your part of Italy. Unlike the bureaucratic side of the health system here, Italian doctors have a very good reputation indeed.

When I worked in Africa, we called our Ambassador "Bowel Stones". Is that the same thing ?

"Don't dare to order me about like that, you cabbage-eating bastard", says I, "I am a British officer".
Private Message Reply: 18 - 21
GuardianAngel
December 22, 2011, 3:27pm Report to Moderator

Capitano
I'm pretty sure bowel stones are what we call gall stones. They are in the gall bladder, and they pass through the bowels. Kidney stones develop in the kidney area, and pass through the other exit route.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 19 - 21
Postmac
December 22, 2011, 3:43pm Report to Moderator

Maggiore
What a coincidence! - I passed a large stone myself this morning. Here's the link:- http://tinyurl.com/yvvzbu
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 20 - 21
GuardianAngel
December 22, 2011, 9:23pm Report to Moderator

Capitano
Quoted from Postmac
What a coincidence! - I passed a large stone myself this morning. Here's the link:- http://tinyurl.com/yvvzbu

Your stone is much more beautiful than mine!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 21 - 21
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Abruzzolutely Forum    Living Here    Health  ›  Kidney stones - Water here causing it?