Please login or register.
Scalibor collars
Abruzzolutely Forum    Living Here    Pets  ›  Scalibor collars

Scalibor collars  This thread currently has 2,731 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Levissima
May 22, 2012, 5:19pm Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
With all the technology and European Community co-operation you would think life would be easier but…

Last year Dave ordered Scalibor collars for the dogs over the internet. Apart from the usual courier ‘Your house doesn’t exist’ malarkey all went well.

This year, following computer melt down and consequent loss of  records, I have tried to order some. Several sites, which advertise them then don’t have the large size in stock but finally I managed to order some from Medic Animal at a reasonable price.

I have just had a call to say they can not ship to Italy because they are not sure that a prescription may be needed. We are talking about Italy not Outer Mongolia!

Is a prescription needed for a flea collar n the UK?

No But the Scalibor Collar is more than a flea collar, it protects against Leishmaniasis.

Do you have Leishmaniasis in the UK? No. Well we do in Italy!!!

Does anyone else get their pet stuff cheaper on the internet, because it costs an arm and a leg here?

Private Message

Almostperfect
May 22, 2012, 5:48pm Report to Moderator
Tenente
Levi, if I remember rightly a prescription was needed in the UK for Advantix, which is similar to Scalibor collars, because of its ingredients. We also use Medic animal but get it shipped to the UK and someone sends them over for us. In the past I used another UK company which was also in Italy (I will try and remember who) they shipped via Bartolini without prescription. Not much help, I'll try and think some more  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 16
Almostperfect
May 22, 2012, 5:53pm Report to Moderator
Tenente
Here you go....brain must be working !

http://www.zooplus.it/ask?q=scalibor&num=20&form=Ricerca

In case the link doesn't, its zooplus.it
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 16
Transformer Man
May 22, 2012, 7:27pm Report to Moderator

Tenente Colonnello
Levi, it can be bought online in the UK without presciption

However, we struggled this year to find large in stock.

I am posting this from Calais as we are en route to Abruzzo.

I'll try and find the website we got one from and let you know

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Better Together

http://www.bettertogether.net
Private Message Windows Live Messenger Reply: 3 - 16
Lola
May 22, 2012, 8:22pm Report to Moderator

Tenente Colonnello
How much do they cost on the internet, 'cos i paid 20 euro for one in Francavillla.

Never make eye contact with weirdos.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 16
Lunascura
May 22, 2012, 10:52pm Report to Moderator
Sottotenente
Hi, I'm not a big fan of these collars as a standalone solution for LM.  The affect wears off quickly with no way of knowing when itsno longer working and also if they get wet they are rendered useless. I'm not saying don't use them but we used a combination when in Malta where Sandfly are rife!!

In addition to the collars we also  used an oil based citronella solution which we diluted and put in a plant spray bottle. Spraying several times a day as standard, the dogs were always indoors at dawn and dusk when sandfly are most active and they slept inside under fans as sandfly can't fly in strong wind.

I wondered if others use similar methods in Abruzzo?

In Terms of your order if you want to have a load delivered to us in the UK we can forward them to you?

Ralph.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 16
Scarlet
May 23, 2012, 9:19am Report to Moderator

Tenente Colonnello
A prescription isn't needed for scalibor collars. I have used this company quite regularly for pet meds both here and in UK and they have always been reliable and helpful.
http://www.vet-medic.com/Search/Product-Detail/Scalibor-Collar-Large-65cm_SCAL2.htm

Unfortunately the collars are out of stock atm. For medicines needing a perscription they will accept a scrip from a vet here which usually costs little or nothing and can be faxed to them so, if your company is insistent on a prescription, it may be worth a chat with your vet if the collars are much cheaper in UK.

I saw them for sale at Iperpet (Lanciano) last week, they had a large selection of all sizes - only looked at the price for the large size which was 20e.

I don't use them for my dogs as they swim often and also play quite roughly and there is a distinct risk that they would eat the collar or strangle one another (they don't wear collars at all in fact for the 2nd reason).

We use advantix, frontline combo or x spot spot ons (depends which one has the best offer at the time), homemade repellent spray (garlic, citronella and lavender), they eat garlic regularly and, as they live indoors, they are usually inside from dusk to dawn. We also have battery operated insect machines dotted around the house.

House for sale/rent in quiet, picturesque village close to Lake Bomba. Within easy reach of Ski/Beach/Airport. 2 bed can sleep up to 6. GCH and functioning wood fire. Sympathetically restored, tastefully decorated and furnished and fully equipped. Option to purchase property fully furnished. Ideal base for exploring the delights of the south Chieti region. http://www.vigneverdeitalia.com/search_property585.html
Private Message Reply: 6 - 16
peter319
May 23, 2012, 10:51am Report to Moderator
Tenente Colonnello
Hi Carol,
I've got 3x scalibor collars (large size) sat here at the moment as it was free postage if I ordered two and then my vet got me one as well. I can get them online no problem and will be back in Abruzzo around the 4th June if you want me to get some and bring them across for you. I think they cost £12 each.

“Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.”

Thank you, the mighty Lance Armstrong for that.

If life hands you Lemons, ask for salt and Tequila and call me over  

Thanks to me for that!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 16
Levissima
May 23, 2012, 12:10pm Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Thank you everyone, great help.

Yes please Pete, if you could bring me two that would be fantastic

I shall also be using zooplus, I think that is probably where Dave got them last year but at the mo they are out of stock

Private Message Reply: 8 - 16
peter319
May 23, 2012, 3:20pm Report to Moderator
Tenente Colonnello
It took me weeks to find any stock of the large size. All the suppliers have been let down by the manufacturer. I'll bring you two when I come across.

“Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.”

Thanks to me for that!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 16
Levissima
May 23, 2012, 4:35pm Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Thanks

Private Message Reply: 10 - 16

Riso
May 23, 2012, 5:09pm Report to Moderator

Maggiore
hi pete could you please get me one large collar as well as riso will need one only if you have the time very gratefull xx
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 16
peter319
May 23, 2012, 8:55pm Report to Moderator
Tenente Colonnello
Ive just ordered 3x collars which will be with me in a couple of days. I'l bring and distribute the merchandise shortly.

Thanks to me for that!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 16
Jules
June 1, 2012, 5:29pm Report to Moderator
Sottotenente
Oh My Word! Just having a few palpitations after reading this thread. We are 20 metres from the beach on the campsite with our Springer Harry for nearly 6 months! We bought a Scalibor collar as soon as we arrived and were told that swimming in the sea with it was OK. H is in and out of the sea 3 or 4 times a day and is hardly ever inside. He's obviously at great risk.......any more advice further to those already posted very gratefully received. Thanks.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 16
peter319
June 1, 2012, 9:33pm Report to Moderator
Tenente Colonnello
Quoted from Jules
Oh My Word! Just having a few palpitations after reading this thread. We are 20 metres from the beach on the campsite with our Springer Harry for nearly 6 months! We bought a Scalibor collar as soon as we arrived and were told that swimming in the sea with it was OK. H is in and out of the sea 3 or 4 times a day and is hardly ever inside. He's obviously at great risk.......any more advice further to those already posted very gratefully received. Thanks.

I've been assured that they aren't affected by water (the collar not the springer!)  

Thanks to me for that!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 16
Jules
June 2, 2012, 7:52pm Report to Moderator
Sottotenente
Thanks Peter - heart rate almost back to normal! We'll still probably change the collar earlier than the 3 months recommended and the garlic won't harm either!! Some citronella spray would help to counteract the garlicky doggy breath too!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 15 - 16
Scarlet
June 3, 2012, 8:29am Report to Moderator

Tenente Colonnello
Sorry to give you palpitations Jules. The efficacy of the collar is supposedly not affected if the collar gets wet, however the manufacturer recommends that the collar is removed if the dog is swimming (not sure why as the chemical within the collar is supposedly only harmful to fish and other marine creatures for the 1st 5 days). The collar works best if it is in constant contact with the dogs skin as it's effects rely on a constant, controlled release of the chemical so if you have a dog that is swimming 4 or 5x per day without his collar he may not be adequately protected. The main reason I don't use the collar (or indeed any collar) is due to the risks associated with play - strangulation or ingestion,  but then I have a large pack of delinquent hooligans who give normal dogs a bad name  

House for sale/rent in quiet, picturesque village close to Lake Bomba. Within easy reach of Ski/Beach/Airport. 2 bed can sleep up to 6. GCH and functioning wood fire. Sympathetically restored, tastefully decorated and furnished and fully equipped. Option to purchase property fully furnished. Ideal base for exploring the delights of the south Chieti region. http://www.vigneverdeitalia.com/search_property585.html
Private Message Reply: 16 - 16
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Abruzzolutely Forum    Living Here    Pets  ›  Scalibor collars