Describing a property
Abruzzolutely Forum    Property    Property Issues  ›  Describing a property

Describing a property  This thread currently has 1,371 views. Print
3 Pages « 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
Nick
July 30, 2013, 5:54am Report to Moderator
Tenente Colonnello
Stuffa is stove. Pellet,wood whatever.

Pellet stoves use relatively small chimneys.  Similar to modern gas boilers. Go to one of the local shops and ask for a preventivo for the install.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 30 - 61
Sample
Tobylap
July 30, 2013, 6:06am Report to Moderator

Maggiore
Thanks, nick, in Oregon I had a ventless gas stove put in, so I think the pellet is doable in this apt

"If you really want to do something, you'll find a way;  if you don't, you'll find an excuse."  Jim Rohn

No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich.  Louis Sabin
Private Message Reply: 31 - 61
Baz
July 30, 2013, 10:19am Report to Moderator
Guest User
I'm not keen on heated bedrooms and even in winter have a window open, but we have a wood burning stove for heating the living room as although people love their stuffa's I can't abide them, they're efficient but in my opinion noisy. (at least everyone I've ever come into contact with has been)
E-mail Reply: 32 - 61
Relaxed
July 30, 2013, 10:31am Report to Moderator

Tenente Colonnello
Just for clarification, Baz is talking about a pellet stufa (which makes a noise) and prefers a stufa a legna (which burns real wood, silently). They are both stufe  

If you have a "real" wood stufa you need a place to store the logs. Loose logs cost by far the least, though you can get palletted logs, and in desperation you can even buy bags of logs in the supermarket.

Wood pellets are cheaper in bigger quantities, but they always come in plastic bags, and they are less of a problem to store and move about.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 33 - 61
Baz
July 30, 2013, 10:39am Report to Moderator
Guest User
We have a wood yard nearby where you can buy your logs and keep them there securely and just take what you need as you pass by on the way back from the shops
E-mail Reply: 34 - 61
Tobylap
July 30, 2013, 10:55am Report to Moderator

Maggiore
Thanks for clarification. I definitely couldn't do wood one. And I'm not crazy about more noise.  Since I also don't like heat at night I think I'll see how this winter goes. If i can survive a Newfoundland winter, I'm pretty sure this won't be a problem

"If you really want to do something, you'll find a way;  if you don't, you'll find an excuse."  Jim Rohn

No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich.  Louis Sabin
Private Message Reply: 35 - 61
Kazzie
July 30, 2013, 11:02am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from Anastasia
I've found it!  The perfect place for Lady Felsham and Kazzie.

Cheap as chips!

Thanks for all your effort   ..... and it comes in a packet lol!!!!!

E-mail Reply: 36 - 61
Kazzie
July 30, 2013, 11:03am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Wood burning stoves are definitely brilliant, quiet and HOT! I would also use the top 'plate' of mine to cook soups and heartwarming casseroles in the winter! Mmmmmmmm! lovely! just need a rocking chair and my knitting! xx
E-mail Reply: 37 - 61
Anastasia
July 30, 2013, 11:35am Report to Moderator

Sirena
Kazzie have you read some (all) of the posts by a member called Coinsky?

If not, you really need to.

www.paranoid.com
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 38 - 61
Nick
July 30, 2013, 11:36am Report to Moderator
Tenente Colonnello
Quoted from Relaxed
Just for clarification, Baz is talking about a pellet stufa (which makes a noise) and prefers a stufa a legna (which burns real wood, silently). They are both stufe  

Wood pellets are cheaper in bigger quantities, but they always come in plastic bags, and they are less of a problem to store and move about.

Unless you get a wood stove with a blower.

Pellets often are put on sale at the big shops to draw shoppers.

Toby if you had the heat on March/april in Vasto you're likely in a very small minority. Winter even a mild one will be much worse. Even if this March/April was colder then average.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 39 - 61
ladyfelsham
July 30, 2013, 1:01pm Report to Moderator

Maggiore
Quoted from 687
Thanks for all your effort   ..... and it comes in a packet lol!!!!!

And Kazzie I'm sure Ana won't mind if we took up residence in her back garden?  

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 40 - 61
Kazzie
July 30, 2013, 1:41pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Progress: Four Estate Agents BOOKED for tomorrow & thursday to do valuation and put on the market in next couple of weeks!!

Very characterful but small, stone built 300yr old cottage (not thatched), porch, 3 bedrooms, 2 receps, lovely stone open fireplace, 1 downstairs bath, also a disconnected loo & basin in Master bedroom, Rayburn providing oil central heating, hot water and cooking facility, double glazing throughout, insulated and floored roof spaces (2). 1/3 acre garden divided into: garden area laid to grass with greenhouse, large chicken run with houses, large very active veggie & soft fruit plot with apple, pear, plum, cherry trees, three sheds.  Also 12x18 Fully insulated Studio (shed!) plus another workshop of equal size. Off street parking for 8+ cars in front garden gravelled area. The River Stour tributary runs around 2 sides of property which backs onto a field.  4 miles from mainline to London/Exeter, and Waitrose & Asda, 8 miles from Shaftesbury, Dorset famous for the 'Hovis' Hill! 40 mins from Salisbury, Hampshire, and 30 mins from Yeovil, Somerset, 45 mins from Bath, 1hr from Bournemouth/coast. Lovely walks straight from the cottage!   Unique property to be available shortly!!! Amazingly NOT listed!
E-mail Reply: 41 - 61
ladyfelsham
July 30, 2013, 1:54pm Report to Moderator

Maggiore
Sounds lovely!

Good luck with the agents x
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 42 - 61
connie
July 30, 2013, 1:57pm Report to Moderator
Maggiore
Newer pellet burners can be very quiet and just give out a gentle clinking of pellets as they drop and a soft burning flame noise (sorry about the poor description) which is quite cosifying on chilly winter days. They need less frequent cleaning than wood burners and you'll most likely want to buy a cheap vac specifically for this purpose.
Wood burners-involves lots of hoiking wood around, buying in advance so that it's aged enough for Winter-quite time consuming and heavy work! You'll need a couple of axes, storage space outdoors to let the wood age through rain and sun, indoor storage when it's aged to keep it dry for Winter use-and never underestimate how much you'll get through.
We have one of each.
If I was starting from scratch (which wasn't the case) I'd just have modern programmable pellet burners-they can heat your water and radiators also.
It takes 1 second to switch on in the morning-compare that to cleaning out and restarting a wood stove when all you want is a coffee and some warmth asap !
Private Message Reply: 43 - 61
linsead oil
July 30, 2013, 2:05pm Report to Moderator
Tenente Colonnello
here  here  conny my days of   being the axman forager  ar over   now     program  or flick a switch no strain involved    pick up a few bags bof  pellets bwhen you out  shopping  job done  long live the pellet stove and stuff the gas 650 eros  two months   main gas that is   boboloni  very cheap  gas thatis  conyry to other posters  its half the price of town gas I have the t  shirt to prove it  

Private Message Reply: 44 - 61
Magari
July 30, 2013, 2:12pm Report to Moderator
Capitano
Can see the advantages of a pellet stove, I suppose - but they always seem such soul-less things - we have a wood burning stove in both the UK and Abruzzo - and one of the main advantages because with the glass door you have all the atmosphere and beauty of a real wood fire. What can be cosier on a cold day. And the smell of wood burning on the air is probably my favourite smell in the world.    

Can't say I've ever wielded an axe or done much heavy work either - it's not so much work if you just get some logs delivered and store them out of the way for the winter.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 45 - 61
Sample
connie
July 30, 2013, 2:36pm Report to Moderator
Maggiore
Sure a wood fire is cosily "romantic" in a way but as you get older it's far less practical
Private Message Reply: 46 - 61
cpa21
July 30, 2013, 3:59pm Report to Moderator
Capitano
When everyone has a wood stove in the village clothes hung out to dry stink of wood smoke!  Wood may be cheap but it is not healthy.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 47 - 61
Levissima
July 30, 2013, 4:16pm Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Quoted from cpa21
When everyone has a wood stove in the village clothes hung out to dry stink of wood smoke!  Wood may be cheap but it is not healthy.  

Probably not, but neither is freezing to death

"Its only the depth that varies"

http://www.abruzzohouse.info/abruzzo-tour-guide
Private Message Reply: 48 - 61
Adamante
July 30, 2013, 4:58pm Report to Moderator

diana.dicrescenzo@pec.odg.abruzzo.it
Sottotenente

Hi,
I would add a little suggestion to the debate on the topic "heating", concerning wood stove or fireplace fired through wood.
Well, I make clear on the price: the wood is estimated by quintal; 1 quintal costed 13 euros last year ( it was a fair price).
So, 13 euros X 30 quintal of wood  (the average need of a family made up of 4 persons) is 390 euros.
If you are interested to buy it next fall, focus on your attention around the weight (see it)... the wood could be wet (it costs
much more).
Sincerely, your friend.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 49 - 61
TheDiggers
July 30, 2013, 5:08pm Report to Moderator
Tenente Colonnello
Quoted from cpa21

If sustainable wood, then it is healthy for the planet....

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 50 - 61
connie
July 30, 2013, 5:11pm Report to Moderator
Maggiore
We buy the wood late spring, let it weather over the next few months then move it to a dry storage space so it's kept dry for the winter.
As to weight-non so! It's how they sell it is how we buy it.
Private Message Reply: 51 - 61
Nick
July 30, 2013, 5:16pm Report to Moderator
Tenente Colonnello
If the seller is honest wet wood should cost less per weight then seasoned wood.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 52 - 61
englishbee
July 30, 2013, 7:24pm Report to Moderator

Tenente Colonnello
ALL OF YOU...........GET TO CESI................90 EURO PER 11 QUINTALLY.............................PICK UP YOURSELF....

Hello,

For all your gardening, cleaning, painting and decorating no job is too small.
information over builders and plumbing, plastering,

Languages spoken are English, Dutch and of course Italian,
for further details send pm

Thanks in advance, Englishbee
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 53 - 61
connie
July 30, 2013, 8:47pm Report to Moderator
Maggiore
Quoted from englishbee
ALL OF YOU...........GET TO CESI................90 EURO PER 11 QUINTALLY.............................PICK UP YOURSELF....

Where in Cesi?
Private Message Reply: 54 - 61
TheDiggers
July 30, 2013, 9:27pm Report to Moderator
Tenente Colonnello
Quoted from englishbee
Opposite the old supermarket? Bit tricky picking up 11 QL  

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 55 - 61
linsead oil
July 30, 2013, 9:40pm Report to Moderator
Tenente Colonnello
old supper market tells us a lot  

Private Message Reply: 56 - 61
the wrong side of the valley
July 30, 2013, 10:05pm Report to Moderator

Tenente Colonnello
Sounds like the Todis supermarket in Cesi at the bottom of Castiglione MR??  I can only remember a bar directly opposite and a great tile/bathroom shop next door.

Pick me up a load if you are passing please.  

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 57 - 61
TheDiggers
July 30, 2013, 10:06pm Report to Moderator
Tenente Colonnello
Quoted from linsead oil
old supper market tells us a lot  

Come on linsead your old brain can't take much in can it....  > > > >

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 58 - 61
Vignaverde
July 30, 2013, 10:57pm Report to Moderator

Tenente Colonnello
I have bought cheap wood in the past but for me it is worth paying a bit more and getting oak, it lasts longer and gives more heat off IMO

Abruzzo property sales and renovations.Registered Estate Agents No. 169316
www.vignaverde.com

All inclusive tours of the fantastic Abruzzo region
www.exploreabruzzotours.com

View many photos of Abruzzo here https://www.facebook.com/AbruzzoProperty

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 59 - 61
3 Pages « 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
Print

Abruzzolutely Forum    Property    Property Issues  ›  Describing a property